Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Family affairs

Running for me is not all about the ‘big occasions’, be they champs races or record rounds, but rather more about the day-to-day joy it brings. So after the challenge of a fast Bob Graham Round and the attention it generated, I was looking forward to some low-key weekends of running purely for fun, doing the Old County Tops race with my brother, our yearly pilgrimage to the Isle of Jura Fell Race - and finally, running the Highlander Mountain Marathon with my mum.
(Photo John Hewitt)

Old County Tops

First up was the Old County Tops with my oldest - but younger brother - Vaclav. Vaclav lives in New York, but over the past years he has managed to run at least one fell race per year. As the poor fellow doesn’t get much hill training in Central Park, I have tended to select easy races for him… the LAMM, Jura, Duddon, Slioch… you get the picture. This year the plan was to do the Scottish Islands Peak race, but logistical complications meant that Old County Tops was chosen as a somewhat gentler yearly reminder to Vaclav of the rightful sibling hierarchy. Joking aside, Vaclav is one of those annoying people who can turn up on Jura without any training, start the race with a litre of orange juice, a pack of sandwiches and the firm intention to enjoy the views, and still finish in 4h20, so I was confident that despite his pleading lack of fitness we would get around the 37 mile route over Helvellyn, Scafell Pike and Coniston Old Man... provided of course that I didn’t get us lost. The weather didn’t look too promising in the morning but at least the rain held off until the race was underway - and long enough for Vaclav to have already made his argument, ‘running slowly is an advantage Jaz, you’ll be out for longer’. He was right though, it was pretty good, even after the deluge had commenced, to be running with so much company, and with no pressure to compete. In spite of the mist I navigated us safely over Helvellyn to the first food station, where we celebrated with several sandwiches, cakes and cups of tea, before starting the long and rather boggy run up Wythburn. At this stage Vaclav said to me ‘Jaz, we need to slow down, I am not going to be able to keep this up’, to which I replied ‘No problem’, dropping my pace accordingly. Almost immediately however, Vaclav’s tall, blue-waterproofed figure came flying past me on the left, raising the pace. Surprised and somewhat annoyed, I shouted to him (as siblings can) ‘I thought you wanted to slow down? Make your mind up will you!’. Imagine my embarrassment then, when the runner turned and I was greeted with the startled face of a complete stranger... To my relief everyone saw the funny side!

At Angle Tarn we refueled with tea (our friends John Hewitt and Carl Bedson tell us they brewed 12 litres of the stuff - heroes no less), ready to take on the climb to Scafell. We managed the climb without incident, but negotiated the descent rather less successfully (I opted for the direct line) – some scree traversing, and down climbing was required to bring us to the bottom. Luckily Vaclav and I have experienced far more precarious situations whilst hiking in the past – and the lack of a 15+kg rucksack on this occasion was a definite advantage!

The last third of the race was a delight (at least for me, I’d like to think Vaclav was also enjoying himself). The sun came out to burn off the mist, and we ran along the ridge homewards from Coniston Old Man with views opening up on all sides. Dropping down into Langdale, we discussed a sprint finish, but thought better of it and ran in together instead, big smiles on our faces, to finish 3rd mixed team, in 23rd place overall.
'Sprint Finish' (Photo John Hewitt)

Jura

I wont say much about Jura, except that it lived up to its status as one of my two all-time favourite fell races (Wasdale being the other) – sunshine, sea, mountains, scree, a weekend of friends and socializing – what more could one want?

(Photo John Hewitt)

Highlander Mountain Marathon

For my mum’s 60th birthday last year I presented her with a voucher. Not (as one might have assumed) a voucher for M&S or a Spa Day, but a ‘Once in a lifetime opportunity’ – to ‘Run a Mountain Marathon with the current British and Scottish Ladies Fell-Running Champion’. According to the terms listed on this voucher, the package included the following: Entry to the event of your choice.

· Transport to and from the event.

· Navigational services.

· Sherpa services.

· Three course evening meal during the event.


And so, 9 months later, we found ourselves preparing to embark upon the Score Class in the Highlander Mountain Marathon. To put this into context – my mum has previously taken part in several mini mountain marathons lasting 3-4 hours, and generally spends the dawn hours of most weekends wandering around on Bleaklow (Peak District) – she is at home on the hills. That said, she has also had a hip replacement, and has dodgy knees, which hamper rapid progress downhill. Considering this, our main concern when we received the maps on Day 1 was how far away the midway camp was situated, and whether we could feasibly make it there in the time allowed! We shouldn’t have worried – it was a perfect day. The early morning mist acted in our favour, given that I had plenty of time to dedicate to navigation. Later on the sun broke through the fog, and we were rewarded with beautiful views. We arrived at the midway camp with 2 minutes 9 seconds to spare, finishing in a very reasonable 46/85 place, despite having run not a single step. The evening passed with ceilidh dancing, beers, and no midges – I think my mum got a rather unrealistic image of what mountain marathons are really like! We started the next day in thick fog, but emerged into the sunshine above a sea of clouds, at the summit of Sgorr na Diollaid. From there we made our way on a fairly direct line to the finish, but collecting points all the way, passing people on the ups and losing places on the downs. I enjoyed the unheard-of joy (pack weight usually being so crucial) of eating an apple, bread (yes, I carried a whole loaf) and cheese as we walked along. At the penultimate control we debated an excursion for an extra 20 points, and decided against it – a decision we later cursed ourselves for – we finished a whole 15 minutes ahead of time, 3 places lower than we could have been (it turns out that it is just as frustrating finishing 47th rather than 44th as it is losing 3 places at the sharp end!). A swim in the river and an ice cream stop on the way home rounded off a very special weekend together. 
(Photo Antony Clark)




7 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is RITA CARMEN and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 12 years. i have been looking for ways online for so long, I first did Depo Provera Shot which i consecutively took every three months in order to get pregnant or fertile, but there was no way from it. I did Depo shot for 3 years constantly until my Doctors in Australia told me to try IVF because I had Endometriosis stage 4 and I resulted to try IVF (In Vitro Fertilization). For months after my IVF no progressed and my situation became worse that my husband had already had plans or getting married to another woman because I was barren. I read a testimony about Prophet Abulele how he had helped so many women with pregnancy problems and also how he usually casts return spells to bring back partner and make one fertile. Of all options tried, I gave Prophet Abulele a try. I am now a mother of a baby boy. For over 13 years of my marriage I received my help from this spell caster. I want to impact on someone's life and make the person get help from a good spell caster. Prophet Abulele's email is:- prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com and his WhatsApp is +2349022406159 once you contact him, he will help you fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  2. I want to use this opportunity I have to say a big thanks to Dr OSOFO for getting back my ex wife. I'm Lisa Campbell from England, after 7 years of marriage my wife left me for another man I did whatever I could to get him back but all I did was in vain I was sad, but I didn't lose hope of getting her back because I had faith in God. So I search online on how to get my wife back, and I came across a post of Dr OSOFO of how he helped a lady to get back her ex, I contacted him and told him the pain I was going through, he told me what to do and I did it, then he casted a love spell for me 48 hours later my wife called me and told me he is sorry for what he did and that he misses me very much, later that day he came back home and beg for my forgiveness, since then our love grew stronger. For the marvelous things Dr OSOFOhas done for me it would be unfair for me not to let the whole world know that such a powerful spell caster do live. If you want to get back your ex fast email  (osofo.48hoursolutioncenter@gmail.com)  or add him up on WhatsApp +2349065749952 

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Owo. I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for 5 year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Lisa who told me about a spell caster called Dr Owo , She gave me his contact drowoherbs@gmail.com\ WhatsApp +1 (717) 473-7391 I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle, i couldn't conceive but as soon as the priest pray for me, i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child, My heart is filled up of happiness to share my life marriage and relationship story with you over here. If you need any assistance from him you can contact him via WhatsApp: +1 (717) 473-7391

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contact Dr Raypower at Urgentspellcast@gmail.com if you want to get your Husband, Wife, Boyfriend and Girlfriend back now and regain your happiness.


    Hi, I am Laura Christ from the USA. I have just experienced the wonders of Dr. Raypower love spell that have been spread on the internet and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restore their marriage life and get back lost lovers, and also help to win the lottery. I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people about how he helped to bring ex lover back, i told him about my husband that abandoned me about 8 months ago, and left home with all I had.. Dr Raypower only told me to smile and have a rest of mind. He will handle it all in just 24 hours, After the second day my husband called me, i was just so shocked, i picked the call and couldn't believe my ears, he was really begging me to forgive him and making promises on the phone.. He came back home and also got me a new car just for him to prove his love for me. i was so happy and called Dr Raypower and thanked him, he only told me to share the good news all over the world .. Well if you need an effective and real spell caster contact Dr Raypower Via email: Urgentspellcast@gmail.com or Call or WhatsApp: +1 (424) 330-8109 and also see more reviews about him on his website: https://urgentspellcast.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Melvin Martins. from the United States. I started playing lottery games 7 years ago and I have never won big. I

    went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr John who has

    made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr John who

    told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his

    temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million

    POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27

    at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game

    from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this

    number +1 (803) 820 2671 or you can email him on: Drjohnwinlotterspell@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  6. GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK.VIA: dromokpo@gmail.com

    This is my testimony of life that I will tell everyone. I have been married for 25 years Another woman had a spell to get away my lover from me, My husband left me and the children and we suffered for 2 years until I saw post about where this man Dr Omokpo has helped so many people recover their broken marriages and relationships to get their ex lovers back.
    I decided to send him a message about my broken marriage and family, about how my husband left me and for him to help me bring back my loving husband home. This great man told me what to do and I followed him as he instructed. After 48 hours, as he told me, I saw a car enter the compound. I was shocked when I saw my husband. As I share my testimony with you my husband came back to me and the kids and that's why I'm so happy to introduce you all to meet this great man for solutions to your problems and bring your lover back to you and mend your broken marriage and relationship restored back to happiness as you wished. Contact this great man via: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete